Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Fifty Shades Finale

This past week has flown by. I have never been so engrossed in a book before. Especially not three in one week. I finished the Fifty Shades trilogy in one week. It was such an entrancing and addicting book. It has changed my views a bit. On what exactly? My marriage? My wants and needs? I am not quite sure. As I finished up the glorious trilogy on Sunday night, I can't help feeling sadness that my husband is at work rather than home with me to fall asleep in his arms. I have heard so many people say so many things about this book; ranging from brilliant and erotic to sick and twisted. To me, it fell happily in the middle. There were times I was thinking to myself, "WHAT THE HELL?" And other times I was crying as if someone had wronged me. I feel that I am a very empathetic person and I wear my emotions on my sleeve.
However, I connected with the characters differently than I expected and viewed this book differently than most. I was comparing. Not in a weird, "I wish....." kind of way, but more towards the intensity that was involved. Throughout reading this series, I became more in tune with the love I have for my husband. We fight like cats and dogs constantly but we love each other everyday just as intensely, if not more. I can't help but think that I am lucky to have found my perfection, my something more, my version of what Christian Grey SHOULD be. When I began reading this trilogy, I was appalled by the women who said they wanted a Christian Grey. As I finished the last book, I look harshly on myself for thinking that. Christian Grey is a perception of what a woman wants in a man; not something specific and it changes from woman to woman. I have my perfect combination of playful, smart, bossy, sexy, protective, arrogant, loving, generous, and spontaneous (just to name a few). I have realized that Christian Grey is who the reader thinks he is, what sticks in their mind. And the only man that comes to mind, even after reading about "the God-like Christian Grey", is the amazing man I get to share my life with on a daily basis. This wasn't meant to be a journey into the awakening of my senses, just passing time with a good book. Instead, I have a whole new outlook on MY marriage and the love I share with an incredibly perfect man.

No comments:

Post a Comment