Friday, April 19, 2013

My Relationship with My Parents

It only makes sense that the 30 things my kids should know about me list would include MY relationship with my parents. In all honesty, I wasn't sure how to answer this. While initially I think it's amazing, there's that nagging thing in my head saying otherwise.

My parents, my mom and my step-dad, are two of the most important people in my life. They have been by my side through everything; high school math homework, douche bag boyfriends, child birth, marriage, and everything in between. I can turn to them for anything. Making them proud of the life I live is one of my goals. I aim to be the strong, loving mother mine is. I aim to be the intelligent, compassionate person my step dad is. It makes me happy to know when I make them proud. They raised me to be an independent thinker, strong, and love with everything I have. While I did not always listen to them, I learned the hard way from doing so. They have excepted when I have made mistakes and helped me work through them. They have loved me through every temper tantrum, every stubborn argument, and every overly emotional moment I may have had in my life. My step-dad and mom two of my best friends. I feel that I could turn to my parents for a shoulder to cry on, advice, and support. They mean the world to me and I owe my life to them.


Then there's that nagging negative bit. My biological father. My parent's had a very nasty divorce when I was a child. It truly did a number on me. I gave my father numerous chances to right these wrongs, but a relationship with his daughter in my eyes seemed to take the back seat to girlfriends and whatever fad he was into at the time. I remember one time in particular. It was the fourth of July weekend and I was visiting my sister, Jessi, at a cabin she rented up north. It happened to be down the street from where my dad lives. He stopped by as Adam and I were getting ready to leave. He drove up, sat at a picnic table, and chatted with the neighbors. Not a "hey daughter of mine that I haven't seen in forever," or a "hey let me meet my two week old grandson for the first time." Instead, he continued to chat. I decided to be the bigger person and bring Nolan over for him to my son. The only thing that was said to me was "I didn't know you were going to be here." And that was it. While I had written my dad off long before that for numerous other similar or worse incidents, I was pissed. This truly depicts how my father has been towards me all of my life (without getting too deep into my life that none of you really want to hear). For this reason, my relationship with my "parents" is not that great.

I consider my step-dad my dad for the simple fact that he was the man that stepped into and up in my life when I needed someone the most, unlike the man that gladly stepped out and put other things before me. I am thankful that I have my mom and step-dad. They have allowed me to have what a lot of people don't; a stable, supportive, loving home to come to whenever I may need it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi I'm Heather! Please email me when you get a chance, I have a question about your blog! LifesABanquet1(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete