Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Wyatt Austin Dykhuizen is HERE!!!


It's been a whirlwind since my last post. Most of you are well aware that Wyatt has entered this world. However, the story of his birth is quite long and has been the reason for my lack of blogging. I mean Sunday was the first full day that I was able to do anything other than lie down. But we will get to that. Let's start with the labor.


While most people talk about their labors being full of excruciating pain and hours upon hours of pushing and contractions, mine was not that way (the first picture above is when we got to our delivery room and the second is after 14 hours of being in the hospital in labor). My water broke around noon. I was asleep on the couch when I felt the urge to pee and realized I couldn't hold it in if I tried. It wasn't the big gush of water like in the movies (just like with my first two). Instead, I would continue to lose fluid up until Wyatt was actually born. I seriously kept leaking for the entire labor. We headed to the hospital around 2pm. I was having contractions, but they were very irregular in time. They would not follow a pattern to save my life.



When we got to the hospital, they confirmed that my water did in fact break. I was dilated only to between 2 and 3 and 50% effaced. However, we were not leaving the hospital without our son seeing as my water did break. My contractions were still very irregular or at some points nonexistent.



I was checked again around 7pm and I was only dilated to a 3. They called my doctor to give her the progress and she decided to start me on Pitocin. This was to get my contractions regular and stronger, or in other words "induce" me. We started this at exactly 9:55pm, 10 hours after my water broke.


I was checked again at 1am and was only dilated to 5 (halfway there). However, my contractions were getting stronger and by 2am, they were to the point of calling the anesthesiologist for my epidural. I got that shortly after 2. My contractions were still not completely regular or extremely strong at this point. I sent Adam home to get some sleep at about 3:30am, when I was only dilated to 6.5.


My epidural kicked in fairly quick, thankfully. At this point, I was cathetered for both my bladder and and my uterus to more accurately measure and record my contractions. At this point, I felt like a science project. I had IV's in my hand, my epidural in my back, and two different catheters.


Around 5:30am, my contractions were really strong and I felt the sudden urge to push. The nurse checked me at this point because the resident was in another room delivering a baby. When she checked, she said that she could see him! I got really nervous. They called my doctor because I was dilated to 10 and completely effaced. My doctor arrived around 6:30am. I resisted the urge to push and even tried to hold him in for about 20 minutes of that time. I started pushing at 6:56am......


Then at 7:06am (yes that means I only pushed for 10 minutes), Wyatt Austin Dykhuizen joined our family in the flesh! He was perfect and beautiful and so worth the 17 hours I spent in that hospital bed. All 7 pounds 10 ounces and 20 inches of him was perfect. He cried until he heard my voice. As soon as he heard my voice, he stopped. It was such an amazing feeling that just hearing my voice calmed him down.


About two hours after Wyatt was born, the headache started. Not the headache like Wyatt was crabby and I couldn't figure him out. No an actual headache. One where I couldn't sit up or stand up. I could only lie flat if I wanted to feel any type of relief. This horrendous headache was due to complications with my epidural. I have a thin ligament in my spine where most people's are really thick. This caused the needle to go in too deep and caused my spinal fluid to leak. While it would correct itself, I was told that my headache could last one to two weeks. I was two different pain meds. The entire week my husband took off from work was spent with me sleeping or just being able to lie down. It was awful.


Well after talking to my mother, one of the pain meds I was on actually gave her a headache. I decided to stop taking that one to see what would happen. The very next day (8 days after Wyatt was born), I finally had a day without a headache! I haven't had one since! Thankfully, the entire time I was blessed with a super baby who spends most of his time sleeping. And when he isn't sleeping, he is nursing. But then it is right back to sleep.


He is 12 days old today. I feel like he has been apart of our family for longer than that. He truly is a really easy baby. Ryenn is smitten and loves him beyond belief. She loves to hold him and imitates him anytime he yawns. Nolan isn't too interested in him. He has "held" him a couple times and finds it hilarious when he sneezes or nurses. Wyatt already holds his head up and is very alert when he is awake (although his awake times are limited). He also already has his feeding schedule down. I love it! I am enjoying being a mother of three so far and am so blessed to have so much love and support around me. I am also happy to announce that I weighed in this morning at 200.4 pounds! That means I only have 4.6 pounds to lose in order to be back to pre-baby weight! Not too shabby 12 days after delivering this little guy!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the birth of your son! These photos are so sweet. They remind me of the days my children were born. My daughter loved her little brother so much- she wanted to do everything for him. I'm glad there were no serious complications in your delivery and tht your headaches are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your beautiful new addition! I've loved seeing all the pictures you've shared of Wyatt - so sweet to see Ryenn with him :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful. :) Your family makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all so much! I absolutely love being a mom and love how well my children interact with one another. Nolan has held him a lot more and taken much more interest in him. He even says his name, which may be the most adorable thing. He was playing Angry Birds on Adam's phone the other day and kept showing it to Wyatt asking, "Birds Wyatt, birds?" I think he thought Wyatt might want to play. When Wyatt was having "tummy time" today, Nolan kept cracking up at him trying to move around on the floor. Ryenn also says his name quite a bit. I'm sure I will give you ladies more pictures than you want as the days progress ;)

    ReplyDelete