Wednesday, April 4, 2012

12 Blankets in 2 years

My sister Allyson posted a 20 Sweater FO's in Review blog that did just that; went over the 20 sweaters she has knit, frogged, fixing, on her needles, etc. It got me thinking about my own knitting. I was recently thinking about my upcoming projects (which include blankets) and their deadlines when I got to thinking about all the things I have recently knitted. The majority of my workload? Blankets! And a lot of them. I decided to tell all about the blankets I have knit, in the process of knitting, and will knit.

1) Khloe's Blanket. The second thing I knit was a blanket. I started knitting in November of 2009 and my niece was born in December that same year. I decided I was going to be ambitious and knit her a blanket. I bought the most beautiful yarn and knit the thing in less than a week! It was a velvety yarn in a variegated pink, purple and white style. She still uses it too!

2) Caiden's Blanket. I worked with a girl at Uccello's and we were both pregnant and due around the same time. After whipping Khloe's blanket out so fast, I decided to knit Caitlin's son a blanket and matching booties as my shower gift to her. This one took me quite a bit longer than the first. I used the same pattern, which was a simple garter stitch blanket that was knit diagonally with an increase in the beginning few stitches on both the wrong and right sides. It was mint green and very soft. I got bored with the color but got it to her.

3) Nolan's 1st Blanket. After knitting a few blanket for everyone else, I decided to knit one that would stay at my house. I knit Nolan a blue blanket in which I used three different yarns to achieve a striping pattern. I used a variegated blue yarn throughout the whole thing and alternated between a navy blue and light blue. I loved how fast this blanket knit up! The striping kept it interesting.
Nolan's 1st Blanket
4) Nolan's 2nd Blanket. After the first blanket, I knit another blanket using the same pattern. The first blanket was so heavy that I wanted something lighter, seeing as he was a summer baby. I kept the same striping but only used 2 yarns, the alternating striping colors. I chose a light yellow and an olive tones green.
Nolan's 2nd Blanket
5) Hallie's Blanket. I fell in love with this pattern and ended up knitting another in the winter of 2011 for Hallie. I chose to knit the blanket with 2 strands throughout without the striping. Her nursery was decorated in pinks and browns so those were the 2 colors I picked. It was gorgeous! When I found out that I was having Ryenn in July, it was hard to part with it.

6) Ryenn's Seed Stitch Blanket. I found this amazing photo of a baby with a blanket and matching hat. Well I thought to myself, "I HAVE to have it". Instead of paying the ungodly amount for the set, I attempted it myself. I got the hat done without any problems (pom-pom pigtail hat). The blanket is still somewhat unfinished. The majority of the blanket is complete, but I am lost with what to do for a border. What I originally had planned didn't look the way I wanted it to. So it sits unfinished.
Seed Stitch Blanket with no border
7) Ryenn's Patchwork Blanket. I spent a lot of time creating this blanket. Without deadlines, it has been a fun project. I started it back in May of 2011 and wanted it done before Ryenn was born. That didn't happen, but certainly was not going to be needed. This summer was really hot and blankets were rarely pulled out. The pattern called for 5 colors but I couldn't settle for just 5. I ended up using a deep purple, green, hot pink, teal, orange and yellow. The colors were amazing together. Each square was knit in a different pattern according to color and then put together to form a pattern. I still have yet to decided what to do in the ways of a border for this blanket as well. The pattern didn't call for a border, but I think it looks unfinished. I am leaning towards a thin border in seed stitch using the deep purple.
Ryenn's Patchwork Blanket
8), 9), and 10) Throw Blankets for sisters. Christmas was blanket knitting season for me this year! I attempted to knit a total of 5 blankets as gifts. I knit 3 cozy throws for each of my sisters and they were a big hit. Their gifts actually added a few of them to my knitting list. I used size 50 needles for the first time and it was amazingly awkward. I knit each blanket in a matter of hours. It was helpful seeing as I knit these in 2 weeks before Christmas.
Jessi's Blanket
Katie's Blanket
Kelli's Blanket



11) Mom's Patchwork Blanket. I loved how Ryenn's patchwork blanket looked. It made me want to knit another one. I found a pattern for simpler squares so I could knit it up a little faster. I started this blanket in June and didn't finish until Christmas day, and even then I had 2 other people helping me seam it up. It turned out beautifully. It was a little smaller than what my dad wanted, so I am eventually going to knit up additional squares in order to add onto the existing blanket.
Mom's Patchwork Blanket
12) MIL's Blanket. I also started a patchwork blanket for my mother-in-law that I wanted to have done for Christmas. I fell way short of that goal, because it still sits unfinished. I am working on finishing this blanket as soon as I finish my Delancey cardigans and the next blanket, which is going to be a throw like I made my sisters for Amiyah.

1 comment:

  1. Girl! You are insane! That is a lot of blankets that all look amazing!

    ReplyDelete