Monday, March 11, 2013

3 Childhood Memories

I am again struggling with another item from the 30 things my kids should know about me list. Describe 3 significant memories from your childhood. I feel that there are not very many significant memories from my childhood, but I will come up with something.
 
1. I think the most significant memory from my childhood is my parent's divorce. This was the ugliest, most brutal divorce I have ever heard of. I know thta many people don't speak about the details of their divorce, so this could be only because of that fact. However, it had a great impact on my life. My trust in men diminished. My love and respect for my mother intensified. My way to cope with things that were making me unhappy usually resulted in a temper tantrum of some sort. I was fearful and angry. I wanted to be with my mom at all times and secretly loved when my dad failed to pick us up as he promised. I think the bond with my little sister grew as well. We were often left alone when my dad had visitation and we learned to play even better together. It taught me about the type of man I wanted to be with and what parenting really entails. It showed me what I did NOT want to be as a parent.

2. Another big moment in my childhood was moving. Not many people have to deal with changing schools. This was one of my favorite things, though. I am very social and loved being able to move to a new school to make new friends. It also opened up opportunities that would not have been available to me had I stayed at the same school. I have never been a shy person and moving was fairly easy for me.

3. Scary movies followed by cartoons. Although this isn't a significant memory, it is something I still do. My husband will look through our movies at night to pick one out for us to watch before bed. I sometimes hear him say "we can't watch that one because we don't have time for a cartoon afterward." It cracks me up because this is what my mom always did when I was a child. We would watch all the scary movies as they came out (Children of the Corn, Freddy Krueger, Jason, Chucky, etc.). I LOVED and still love scary movies. BUT I cannot watch one when it is dark without watching a cartoon afterward, unless I don't want to fall asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment