Thursday, January 10, 2013

10 Things to Tell Your 16 Year-Old Self

Looking to number four on the 30 things my kids should know about me I was excited to get to this one. I have thought a lot about the things I would tell my teenage self if I could so having a list 10 things you would tell your 16 year-old self, if you could question was awesome to me. It was difficult to narrow down the list but I thought about the most important things to me now and what I wish I had done a bit differently.
1. First and foremost, invest a lot of your time in school. I spent a lot of time worrying about the social aspects of high school and not a lot of time worrying about the actual school work itself. I did very well in school and spent my last two years of school taking every available advanced placement course and even did a Spanish course independent study. I just wish I had spent more time getting better grades and making college my number one priority.
2. Stay involved in extracurricular activities. All four years I was a cheerleader for football and played volleyball for the first three. I gave up on volleyball my senior year so I could work. I am very disappointed that I didn't stick with it throughout my entire high school career. I was student aid and helped with decorating for any of the spirit weeks or whatever we had. I was in band for 3 years and had to give up on my senior year due to advanced placement courses. Same went for choir. I was in the high school musical one year and even had a solo. However, I wished I had done more years of it rather than working. I worked two jobs for a while.



3. Forget about high school drama. At the time, the drama of high school seems like it is the only thing that exists. I promise 16-year-old self, it definitely isn't.

4. Don't date people who are no longer in school. Once they have graduated, your life becomes a little less involved in high school. You get exposed to things you shouldn't too early.

5. Don't date people from other schools. Especially those who are not in your division or whatever that you would never see at sporting events. Making time to see them is a waste of time.


6. Don't date! Anyone, EVER. Dating exclusively in high school is a joke and a waste of time. High school boys are only thinking about one thing and it's not worth all the drama wrapped around it. Dating while in high school can lead to stupid mistakes as an adult.

7. Spend time with friends as often as possible. Friends are important in high school and the memories made during this time period shouldn't be work work work.

8. Sing more. Do not miss out on any opportunity to sing the national anthem, sing solos, or participate in choir.


9. Be nicer to people. I feel that I was pretty nice to everyone, but I am sure there were people that I offended or hurt throughout my high school career. I think that being nice to everyone is something that should be valued and practiced by all students.

10. Be positive! Don't let people bring jealousy, anger, pettiness, or whatever other drama comes around. Staying positive, friendly, and happy will get you so far in life.



No comments:

Post a Comment